Monday, July 26, 2010

The Coast

My trip was delayed a day from when I originally thought I would leave and so right out of the gate my plan had to be altered, especially because I had finally heard from Kerry (my Ft. Bragg visit) and she was going to have Tuesday off.

Forgoing the coastal route would shave 3 hours off the drive time, but it would be cutting out one of the stops I really wanted to make. Lincoln City and Newport are the larger coastal towns of Oregon and I have been there a few times and while I didn't have anything specific I really wanted to do there, it was still the way I had originally decided to go and I was bummed that so quickly plans may have to be changed.
Making the executive decision that this was my trip and I should go where I want to go (the passengers were just going to have to shut up and deal) I opted for the coastal route and took the 99W/18W to Lincoln City.
The minute I crested the mountains separating coast from inland, I could feel the change in the air. The clouds were hugging the peaks and the temperature took a decided drop of at least 20*. I rolled my windows down and breathed in the cool, fresh air as I descended and all at once I felt totally at peace.

Having grown up in a coastal town, the familiar crispness and saltiness in the air is familiar and almost addictive. Having left 90* in Portland, the change was refreshing and the sea-breeze was like greeting a long-lost friend. I drove through both towns with my windows rolled down, even though by then it was down to 60* and I had to put on a sweatshirt. It was well worth the extra time to take the scenic route...






No comments:

Post a Comment