Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Road to San Francisco

The coast in general, but the California coast by Ft. Bragg especially, is incredibly windy (wind-y). When it says to go around a corner at 10 mph - do it. Highway 1 heading into FB is so windy I almost got sick the first time I drove on it. It's full of blind corners and there are bikers, hikers, RV's and semi-trucks on the narrow road that you can't see until you come around the bend. I have to admit that it was a lot more fun to drive it this time, knowing what to expect and being totally alone, than it's been before. I suggest, if you ever drive it, to put on something like flamenco music becuase it would totally fit that stretch of road!

Heading out was not quite as bad, still windy mixed with hills. It's absolutely beautiful though. There are redwoods and a gorgeous river then you get into the Mendocino Wine Country. My sister-in-law would love it here. I wanted to stop and take a picture in front of the landscapes but there was never a good spot to stop until I had passed it. Boo. So I did my best to take pictures from the car.


Northern California smells like warm honey. Something that is blooming here has this incredibly intoxicating scent that I couldn't identify but permated the air from south of Crescent City until I hit the big city. I didn't want to leave it. It reminded me of a greek legend, something about an island that no one ever left becuase it was like heaven there. That's sort of how I feel about Northern Cali, at least outside of the city...

No comments:

Post a Comment